Pa Chih Lieh Inter-library Cooperation Association
Members: Chinese Culture University, Soo Chow University, Yang Ming University, Ming Chuan University, Shih Chien University, Taipei Veterans General Hospital-Medical, Takming College, Tatung University, Taipei College of Maritime Technology, Taipei National University of the Arts, and National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences, and Taipei Physical Education College.
Chinese Culture University, Soo Chow University, Yang Ming University, Ming Chuan University and Shih Chien University are located in Shihlin, which was called “PATTSIRAN” by the Pingpu Tribe in the past and translated into “Pa Chih Lieh” by Han Chinese people. This place was also called “Pa Chih Lieh Lin” due to the many woods in the area and renamed as “Pa Chih Lin” in the 6th year of the Qianlong reign of the Qing Dynasty. Later generations called it “Shihlin”, for the many scholars here. The Lieh of “Pa Chih Lieh” means union and connection, which is also the mission of this organization.
Pa Chih Lieh Inter-library Cooperation Association was established by the presidents of the originating universities: Chinese Culture University, Tsai-Mei Lin; Soo Chow University, Yuan-Tsun Liu; Yang Ming University, Sien-Shih Chang; Ming Chuan University, Teh-Ming Pao and Shih Chien University, Hsi-Ching-Fang on January 13, 1998, as the first regional university library consortium in Taiwan. It not only allows members to search and read the collections in each library, but also provides book loan services for each university in accordance with the regulations, and the librarians in each library can participate in workshops held by the other universities.
Taipei Veterans General Hospital-Medical Library, Takming College and Tatung University jointed the Association on May 5, 2004, increasing total members to eight. On June 16, 2004, the Association made the resolution to provide 20 library cards for exchange. In January 2010, the 1st Library Deans’ Conference was held at Taipei College of Maritime Technology, when Taipei College of Maritime Technology was accepted to be the 9th member of the Association. In July 2010, the Library Deans’ Conference was held at Shih Chien University and Taipei National University of the Arts and National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences were welcomed for a total of 11 members. In February 2012, Taipei Physical Education College jointed Pa Chih Lieh Inter-library Cooperation Association as its 12th member.
A. Service Mission：
Pa Chih Lieh Inter-library Cooperation Association is established to enhance collaboration between the libraries, which includes Chinese Culture University, Soo Chow University, Yang Ming University, Ming Chuan University, Shih Chien University, Taipei Veterans General Hospital-Medical, Takming College, Tatung University, Taipei College of Maritime Technology, Taipei National University of the Arts, and National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences, and Taipei Physical Education College, a total of 12 members. This partnership allows reciprocal borrowing and copying, which achieves the goal of resource sharing.
B. Procedures for reciprocal borrowing and copying：
- Each cooperating library offers 20 library cards; each library card permits the borrower to borrow five books for up to 14 days; renewals and reservations are not allowed.
- Faculty members, staff members, and students participating in the cooperative organization are permitted to borrow books in cooperating libraries via library cards.
- The faculty members and students of member institutions may use Nationwide Document Delivery Service (NDDS) to copy or fax material of A4 size, with a maximum of 5 pages, and Arial size with a maximum of 40 pages without service charge; the cost is 2 NTD per page. Please follow the procedures for copying and printing material of each cooperative library.
C. Notices for reciprocal borrowing：
- Borrowers in each university must abide by other libraries’ regulations; otherwise, borrowers’ rights will be cancelled.
- Borrowers must take good care of the books; if borrowers destroy or lose books, the case will be dealt with in accordance with relevant regulations in participating libraries.
- If borrowers lose library cards, they should notify the unit where the original application for the card was made. If the card is used for malicious purposes before the unit is notified, the unit which issued the card will deal with the problem.
- Overdue notices will not be issued to individuals. If books more than two months overdue cannot be traced, the unit which issued the card will deal with the problem in accordance with the library regulations of the institution from which the book was borrowed.
- If borrowed books are urgently needed, the library may request books to be returned at any time.
- Students should check their borrowing record with the Inter-library Cooperation Association before leaving their institutions. Otherwise it will not be possible to go through procedures to leave their institutions.
- Borrowers should abide by relevant regulations of copyright.